Trilobyte Digital are experts in small business SEO. Our SEO agency is based in Brighton, UK, but we are happy to work with businesses all around the UK and abroad. Here is an article we had put together on the mechanisms behind guest posting…
Guest posting is a wonderfully effective way to build backlinks to your website, it is also a brilliant opportunity to grow your business, build new relationships and target new audience. If you do it right, you can enjoy lots of benefits from your guest blogging efforts. However, to get to this level of guest blogging, there are a few things you need to know.
Where should you look to Guest Post to increase your search engine ranking?
Virtually every blogger wants to post on top niche, high authority websites like Forbes, Huffington Post, Entrepreneur, The Wall Street Journal and so on. Getting just a single backlink from any of these websites is enough to completely turn around your business profile. However, it may be necessary to start from more humble beginnings in your journey to a successful guest blogging. Platforms like Forbes may not accept your article if you are not well known in the blogging world, so you need to first build your profile with other ‘not so highly placed’ websites. The more blogs your articles are featured on, and the larger your audience grows, the easier it becomes to get placed on higher authority websites.
How do you Guest Post?
Already, we have agreed that it might not be possible to immediately start posting on high authority websites. But in order to get to this point, there are certain rules of blogging you have to follow. Here are just a few of them:
- In putting together your guest post article, avoid using any promotional content. If your article focuses on promoting your brand or product, it will not offer any benefit to your readers. It can also damage the relationship you have with the guest blogging websites. Websites like this frown at promotional content in guest posts.
- Your article should always carry links to high authority sources. This shows that your content carries trustworthy information. Linking to other sources will also come in handy when you want to start blogging for high authority websites.
- Identify and look for targeted keywords relevant to your article that would help you rank well in Google. If possible, ensure that your post title also carries keywords relevant to what you are writing on.
- Long is better. Search engines and users alike do no appreciated short form content. An effective post is one that is in excess of 1000 words.
- Content matters. If your content is not interesting, you will lose readers. Play around with images, infographics and list when writing your guest post.
What should you Guest Post?
It can be frustrating to write series of articles only to have each of them turned down. This happens when you write what the blog owners feel their readers will not find useful. The best way to know what to write is to first visit the blogs you want to write for. Talk a walk through their existing blog posts and articles to get a feel of what they accept. Pay special attention to their style of writing, language and any other special feature that stands out. This is a part of guest posting that you cannot skip over. Until you know the type of posts these websites accept, you will not be able to write for them.